General guidelines for funding
  • Subject to approval, funding is available up to a maximum of $2,000 for research purposes within Australia for both PhD candidates and MPhil candidates over the duration of their programs. Additional funds of $2000 are available for research purposes outside of Australia.
  • Applications to the School must be submitted to the School RHD Administrative Officer, on The application will then be considered by the Head of School and RHD Coordinator.
  • Applications can be submitted after Confirmation and prior to final thesis submission. In some cases applications will be considered prior to candidature Confirmation however the candidate will be required to cover initial costs, with reimbursement to be provided upon successful completion of Confirmation.
  • Applications must be approved prior to travel/conference attendance. No Funding Applications will be approved retrospectively for travel already taken.
  • Candidates must provide tax receipts to the School Office within 5 working days of returning from travel.
  • Funds may be used to cover travel costs for candidate’s research purposes including airfares, accommodation, and conference registration. Funds can also be used to cover the costs of research materials (such as specialist books to be housed in the library, overseas inter-library loans, and specialist software), translations, and for obtaining essential language skills or materials. No funds are available for the hiring of research assistants or transcription of tapes.
  • Funding for language learning materials will be limited to $300.
  • All funding allocations are subject to submission of a funding application.
  • All monies expended must relate directly to the candidate's thesis topic. A suitable funding application should demonstrate how the activity is relevant to the candidate's research and how the funds will be spent.
  • Funding for travel to attend a conference is normally only available if the candidate is presenting a paper.
  • It is an expectation that publications resulting from conference and research funding be notified to the School Office in the year in which they are published.
  • Funding to cover conference registration for a conference held at a local venue will be available if the candidate is presenting a paper at the conference.
  • Applicants must be enrolled as Research Higher Degree candidates.

On this site